In The Art of Practicing, acclaimed pianist and teacher Madeline Bruser combines physiological and meditative principles to help musicians release physical and mental tension and unleash their innate musical talent. She offers practical techniques for cultivating free and natural movement, a keen enjoyment of sounds and sensations, a clear and relaxed mind, and an open heart and she explains how to:
• Prepare the body and mind to practice with ease
• Understand the effect of posture on flexibility and expressiveness
• Make efficient use of the hands and arms
• Employ listening techniques to improve coordination
• Increase the range of color and dynamics by using less effort
• Cultivate rhythmic vitality
• Perform with confidence, warmth, and freedom
Complete with photographs to show essential points of posture and movement for a variety of instruments, this is the definitive guide to turning practice from a sometimes frightening, monotonous chore to a fun, fulfilling activity.
Enjoyed this book? Then be sure to check out our other books on BooksNavigation.